Monday, July 5, 2010

Running Away...

Literally, today I ran for the first time in 2 months. I cannot even describe how it felt, except to say amazing. I felt so free! Now, I know some of you are thinking...you're supposed to ease back into it. And I did. Here's how me running came about today.

This morning I had my first leg workout with Tye since before my surgery. He was taking it a little easier on me since we have to be careful and slowly build back into my former weights and routines. We did not do anything too crazy during strength training and in fact, we split legs with a little bit of chest and shoulders added in. Towards the end of our workout when we were doing some super-sets, he was telling me what we would be super-setting. He showed me the weights and machines that we would be using and then said...and then you will jog a lap.

I am pretty certain that my jaw dropped about then and to be quite honest, fear gripped me too! I was afraid to jog a lap around the gym...what if I fell? what if I looked stupid jogging? what if I simply couldn't do it? I was really scared!! And he looked at me and said, "Yep, you're going to jog a lap." I told him I was uncertain and scared...and he told me truthfully that part of his job is to push me past my fears and therefore I was going to jog a lap. I ended up telling him that I would really appreciate it if he would jog with me...it would make me feel more comfortable. So, he agreed.

He let me set the pace and it started off at a slow jog...but at some point I passed him and my competitive edge set in and I knew I had to maintain the lead or at least stay equal with him. The feeling of jogging in the open overwhelmed me and I ended up running the rest of the lap. Tye said I looked good...a little shaky, but he was impressed that I managed to maintain the whole lap without having to stop. The second lap, I let him set the pace because I knew that I would try to run too fast and end up hurting myself. We stayed pretty even the whole time. And the last lap, he also set the pace, but at one point, he got hung up with a sales tour that was going on, I slipped through it and took off ahead of him. He caught up to me and at that point, I went into the next gear! We both laughed because we knew if we continued that, I would eventually end up hurting myself. But we both knew it was the last lap for the day, so I was safe!

Jogging on the treadmill was great last Thursday. But running those laps in the gym this morning gave me that total sense of freedom. It was a great feeling of accomplishment. It was aawesome to know that I can still run, but even more than that, that I still love it!! I never would have believed that running would be something that I would enjoy, let alone, crave.

I promise to be good and not overdo it! I did cardio after our workout and only did 30 minutes on the elliptical to balance out the running and intensity in the leg workout. Bottom line is that I think I am back...and my form is better than ever!! I will continue to ease into running. What I did today was such a small amount and for a short time, so I will continue my jogging on the treadmill for now and slowly increase my time and speed and see how it goes!!

When I got home, I spent some time stretching my muscles and helping them to recover. And right now, I am icing the hip so that I continue to keep down any inflammation.

And in more fun workout news...the Insanity workout has arrived!! I probably won't start it until next week since Jason is having his foot surgery this week and there is much to do beforehand. But I am very excited about it!! I will keep you all posted on it!! I cannot tell you all how great it feels to be back in the game!! I am so very blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment