Saturday, August 14, 2010

Getting Into A New Routine

This summer has taken its toll on me and my routine. It didn't help that I started out the summer recovering from hip surgery. However, I am craving my normalcy...I want to get back into a regular routine. No, I need to get back into a regular routine. Before hip surgery, my work schedule was regular and so were my workouts. I knew exactly when everything was going to take place. But this summer has really goofed up the whole routine!

So, here is my current plan. I need to ramp up (safely of course!) my workout schedule again. My next half-marathon is in approximately 10 weeks. So, I need to get my butt in gear and start getting my workouts in and my cardio and my mileage again. Next week, Tye and I are returning to our pre-hip surgery routine of 3 strength training sessions a week. I am very excited about this and cannot wait to get started...just hoping my energy level vamps up enough to help it all out! In addition, I have decided that I want to go back to my routine of taking 2 yoga classes a week at the gym. I have really missed my regular yoga practice and now that I can start doing it regularly I want to start scheduling that.

As for cardio, I need to get my plan going. I generally trade off running days with elliptical or arc trainer days. So, since that is usually pretty successful, I think I will stick with that. Just time to start getting that implemented again.

As for mileage, I am now going to be training Jason to walk his first half-marathon in December. He told me today that he wants to join me and some friends for the half that I am planning to do in Charlotte. I am excited! So, that means I need to get him started now since he is recovering from foot surgery. We will start out slow. My plan is that every night after dinner this week, we will walk a mile. I want to work him up slowly to more mileage and this plan gives me plenty of time to do that. If I get him in a regular practice, I can start increasing mileage and get him ready to kick butt in December! Jason has no grand illusions about this. His goal is completion. He knows he cannot run it or jog it due to injuries he has sustained in a car accident in 1993. However, I am so thrilled that he wants to try this out. I told him I was going to start giving him supplements to help out with some joint issues...fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin and a multi-vitamin. I think he will do awesome. My hope is that Cathy and Robert can work out their schedule and join us. That way, Jason and Robert can walk and Cathy, Chuck and I can run without feeling bad. If Cathy and Robert cannot work it out, then Chuck and I will walk with Jason and all cross together. Either way, it will be awesome!

And I will be continuing my new stretching routine...even though I missed a couple days this week. I am going to try and stretch every night for at least 30 minutes. I want to make sure I start getting the whole body stretchy and ready to go. The more stretching I do, the better my body recovers.

On Saturdays, Cathy and I have been getting together and walking/hiking for a couple hours and then grabbing breakfast together at Cracker Barrel. (Don't freak out...we are eating rather healthy when we eat there! It's a wholesome breakfast...egg beaters, turkey sausage, blueberry muffin, fresh fruit and yogurt with granola...delicious!!! And under 300 calories) I love our time getting together and walking and talking. We have a great time and get a great workout in!

Things are about to get crazy here. I am going to start adding some ab workouts in to work on strengthening my core and helping out the hips. And all of this means, I will need to get my sleep schedule back on track! Lately my sleep has been off and I do mean really off. With Jason being out of town this past week, I didn't sleep well at all. In fact, a couple nights I got very little sleep at all. So, hopefully, I will be able to get back to trying to get at least 8 hours a night in.

I cannot wait to get into a good routine and making it all a reality. Lately, I feel like I have been letting my life run away with me instead of me running away with it. So, this is my attempt at getting things back on track. So, if you don't see much from me for a little while, it's because I am crazy busy with my training schedules for myself and Jason. No worries though, I love to blog...so I will carve out some time in my schedule for it at least once a week!!!

1 comment:

  1. Are you running the Charlotte Thunder Road in December? That was my first half last year and it was great. Very organized and fun! I wish I could run it but my daughter is graduating that weekend. Be prepared for a few hills!!

    ReplyDelete