Sunday, May 27, 2012

Keep 'Em Separated...

Minion and Mayhem had a vet appointment this past Monday to get their latest set of shots and a checkup. Things were looking pretty good. They are gaining weight just as they should (which made me feel better because Minion has not been the best eater!). And the vet let me know that she felt that they were doing very well. She started Minion's physical exam and that was when I got the news. Her hernia had gotten bigger. Apparently as a puppy grows, it is common for an umblilical hernia to grow too. In fact, the vet insisted that at this size, she felt that we needed to go ahead and repair it before it strangled out her intestines. 

The girls waiting at the vet's office


We had originally planned on spaying Mayhem and having her cherry eye repaired at 4 months. And then at 6 months, we were going to spay Minion and have her hernia repaired. So, I had not purchased the second crate and started separating them yet. Since the vet seemed concerned, I decided to go ahead and have Minion spayed and her hernia repaired the next day. I spent most of Monday picking up a new crate and trying to prepare for dropping Minion off for surgery the next day. I was a bit worried because she is so tiny and I just could not imagine her undergoing surgery at only 10 weeks of age. But a good friend assured me that they do this all the time and there was no need to be concerned.

We decided to put Minion and Mayhem in their separate crates on Monday night. I was a bit sad about it and the girls looked kind of pitiful that night too.

First night apart
The next morning I woke them up just a little bit early so they could play together. The vet had informed me that they would have to stay separated for about 7-10 days so that Minion could heal. I knew going in this was not going to be fun and that they were both going to have problems with this. So, we played for awhile and then I took both puppies with me to the vet's office to drop Minion off. I headed home with Mayhem and she was so lost and depressed. She barely ate at all and wandered around for quite awhile. She had a rough day on Tuesday. I did my best to give her lots and lots of extra love and attention but she was still very depressed.

I picked Minion up Tuesday afternoon and she was kinda out of it. She barely registered that I was there when I got her. The surgery went well and the vet said she would not have to wear the "cone of shame" unless she started licking that area, but the majority of her spays don't have to wear it. Mayhem perked up when I got her home but Minion was so out of it that she did not know she was there either. Minion cried quite a bit and had a hard time getting comfortable. I did manage to get her calmed down and settled in my arms.

Poor drugged up puppy :(


The following days were difficult and filled with a lot of crying and whining from both puppies. Separation was not their idea of a good time. Minion was on pain meds for several of those days but she still wanted to be with Mayhem. I did try to give them some supervised visitations but they always ended up trying to fight which was why they had to be kept apart.

I ended up having to take Minion in for a recheck on her incision on Friday and they informed me that she was healing nicely. They told me that as long as the girls were not all out fighting and hurting each other that they could start playing together some. So yesterday, I let them play for awhile and they were so happy. They fought quite a bit but I monitored them and separated when it got too intense.

This morning, I took them both out together for the first time since Minion's surgery. They were so thrilled. And then I let them play and fight a bit this morning. After they got all their aggression out, they settled down and played together. It was great to be able to let them enjoy some quality time together.

Right now, they are in their crates enjoying an afternoon nap. Depending upon their demeanor when they wake up, I will likely let them enjoy some more play time together. I am hopeful that their sleep habits will return to normal because the 5:30 wake up call is not my idea of a good time! This morning they let me sleep in...until 6 :( I miss the days when they slept until 7.

For now, I am just happy that they are playing well together and that Minion is feeling better. Bad news...I have to do this again in about 5 more weeks :(

No comments:

Post a Comment