Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm A Fighter....

I absolutely love the lyrics to the song, Fighter, by Christina Aguilera. It is definitely my motivational, kick-butt, get me out of a funk song. In fact, I listen to it occasionally before heading into the gym for a workout and it's on most of my running playlists and is marked on my Nike iPod Sport as my Power Song! What is it about this song that motivates me so much and pushes me? I am not really sure but the first time I heard it, it connected with something deep within me. I AM a Fighter.

I have always been a fighter. Even in moments when I feel like I have given up, something in my spirit will not allow me to throw in the towel. If you corner me, I will come out swinging. If you cage me, I will do everything within my power to escape.

Here are the lyrics that ring so true for me:

'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter


Every time I need an extra push during my workouts, I think about these lyrics. When things in life start to frustrate me, I remember that being a fighter is part of who I am. Even though circumstances may not be part of my plan, I will fight for what I want. If you tell me that I can't do something, then I generally do everything within my power to prove you wrong.

When I was in Nashville last year, I found a company that I absolutely love that has a whole set up built around me. The company is called...Say I Won't. I love their stuff. I purchased one of their shirts and it's my favorite. It reminded me of when I was still 100 pounds overweight and at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I decided that I was going to complete a half-marathon. It amazed me that so many people looked at me like I was crazy and in fact, I know from several people, they gave me the "Sure you will" comment and probably laughed behind my back. Who's laughing now? Five half-marathons later and still going strong. Here's the slogan from Say I Won't:

Tell me that I can't do it.
Tell me that I shouldn't even try.
Tell me it's impossible.
Tell me the risk is too high, the challenge too much,
Or the feat too tough.
Tell me that I won't do it
And I WILL.

Yep, that about sums me up. I have always been like that. Even as a young child, I challenged my parents and authorities when told I couldn't do something. (Not always, but enough to have been labeled strong-willed.)

Recently, a friend of mine, who I refer to as the Hulk, mentioned in a Facebook post that he told someone at his gym that he was going to complete a triathlon and was told that he was too bulky. Now, the Hulk, is in amazing shape. I would never tell him he cannot complete a triathlon, much less any other task he sets his mind too because he is determined. I have no doubt in my mind that he will do an amazing job at a triathlon and I will be cheering him on while he trains and completes it!

Some people have the determination to push towards their goals. In the face of adversity, they struggle through whatever it takes to complete their goals.

Another of my friends, who I refer to as "Taz," is like that. He is an Ironman. He runs triathlons, completes half-marathons, full marathons, bikes, and does Ironman events. He is the Taz because you can't really slow him down. He is determined to achieve the goals he sets before himself. When I decided I wanted to complete 6 half-marathons, this year, I turned to him for advice. I recognize a kindred spirit in him. I was being told by others that this was a crazy plan and that I couldn't do it and I would end up injured. So, I reached out to someone that I knew has been there and could guide me.

Taz and Hulk are just two of my friends who are kindred spirits. When others say they can't do something, they respond with "Challenge accepted!" I am honored to have them as my friends. I consider them my fellow fighters. And I have many other fellow fighters out there that I am honored to have as friends.

And even though, it irks me quite a bit that negative people out there seem to think that spreading their doubts into my life can keep me at their level or keep me from achieving my goals, I understand that there are people who just don't have the spirit to complete their goals or to work towards them. And if you are that naysayer...I ask that you keep telling me that I cannot achieve my goals or that I am crazy. Because all you are doing is pushing me even harder to reach those goals. I will not stop. I will prove you wrong every time.

So, go ahead...count me out. But I warn you, stand back because I always come out of my corner swinging...


No comments:

Post a Comment