Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wrap Me Up in Bubble Wrap and Call It A Day :)

LOL...I am so uncoordinated it's not even funny! A couple weeks ago I mentioned a mishap at physical therapy on Facebook but I didn't really get into a lot of detail. Here's what happened...

The office I do my physical therapy in is very small and crowded. I had just graduated from doing my warm-up on the recumbent bike to the elliptical. I had spent the morning taking care of the twins which involves going up and down the stairs alot and usually with a baby on my hip. And for even more fun, I was trying to scale back my carbs some too.

Anyways, I started my warm-up by doing 5 minutes forward and the last 5 minutes on the elliptical were going backwards. After finishing up on the elliptical, I was pretty happy and I stepped off to the right side. This was not the best idea because as soon as I stepped off of the elliptical, I stepped directly onto the trampoline (that is not sitting directly on the floor, but slanted sideways). When I stepped on the trampoline, my right ankle twisted which caused me to begin falling. In order to stop myself from falling, I grabbed on to the side of the elliptical for dear life. I became even more frightened when I noticed that my physical therapist, Daniel, looked as if he might be coming towards me to catch me. (I should note here that Daniel is very tall and extremely thin...he is a runner). The idea that I might fall onto Daniel scared me more than falling! LOL! At this point, I grabbed more frantically and was able to actually protect myself from falling to the floor.

However, I didn't come away from the incident unscathed! I managed to calm my heart down after my near fall but had to reassure everyone in the office that day that I was okay. I proceeded to start stretching my calves and looked down and noticed that my left leg was bleeding from where I had managed to scrape the skin off of a spot on my left leg. LOL...so I continued telling them I was fine but I needed a bandaid :) Also, I got a nice bruise about the size of a large person's thumb on the inside of my left arm and I bruised up my knee majorly bad! It was crazy and scary and funny all at the same time!

To make it even funnier, Daniel asked me later if I wanted to try balancing on a balance board on my injured hip and throwing a ball at the trampoline and catching it. I responded with, "What part of uncoordinated did you not notice earlier?" It's safe to say that I will not be doing that particular activity :)

And later that night, I managed to further that knee by doing something crazy! I was standing in the shower and reached to grab my towel from the back of the door and managed to slip and throw that right knee into the steel tub! Yeah...you are starting to see my skills in coordination :)

The funnier part to all of this is that I am uncoordinated at things that most people are pretty coordinated with. I am the girl who can trip over my own feet, walk into walls, tables, you name it and I will crash into it! I have broken my little toes so many times, it's not even funny! I can, however, walk and chew gum at the same time :)

I'm working on being more coordinated. My balance has improved greatly since I started physical therapy. Although I contend that no one in their right mind puts a trampoline next to an elliptical :) So, it was partially my coordination skills and the cramped quarters of the office.

Believe it or not, at one point, Tye thought he could improve my coordination. He has since learned that at the most unusual times, my talent in uncoordination shows itself :) It's not as often as it used to be, but it's like a ninja and sneaks up and scares me!

Years ago, it came out in the form of dropping my walkman while on a treadmill going 5 mph and stopping to pick it up. Yes, I stopped to pick it up but I didn't stop the treadmill and flew off the treadmill at 5 mph...hitting the mirror behind me and landing behind the treadmill with the tread steadily going and rubbing against one of my knees and on hand. This really nice guy jumped off his stair stepper to turn off my treadmill and help me up. He informed me that the red button with the white lettering is what you push when you want to get off :) LOL! My response was, "Oh my goodness! I broke a nail!" Oh yeah, breaking a nail was way more of a concern to me than flying off a treadmill :)

Okay, so now you truly see that my uncoordination is truly a talent :) Not many people are as gifted...then again not many people I know should be safely wrapped in bubble wrap to avoid injury! The good thing is that I am only a danger to myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment